Tonight was soccer practice. It's always at 8:30 pm, which is a bit late for an almost 10 year old in my opinion, but it's once a week so I deal with it.
The whole reason many parents like the idea of team sports like soccer is because it encourages teamwork and also good sportsmanship. I have to say, that's a big part for me. If my kid happens to be awesome at it, great, however if that is the case I will always encourage them to "share the ball" and that without their team they wouldn't win any games, but forfeit.
Goober loves soccer for the most part, and his team is decent. There are a couple of kids who are pretty good at making goals (one in particular), which is fine and makes for a fun time cheering the team on.
Tonight however I wanted to belt a couple of these "good players" because at practice they would not let Goober have a ball to practice kicking with. I mean... come on... that is what practice is FOR, to get better. How can you get better if you can't have a ball. I understand that Goober isn't the most aggressive player, that he has things to learn, but honestly I think he has less work to do that these two arrogant children. I found myself thinking that maybe I wouldn't be cheering for those two come Saturday...
I always find to amusing (and frustrating) that people (children and adults alike) sometimes think that being mean gives them power and makes them look tough. It doesn't make anyone look tough. I can't remember a time in my life that I ever saw someone being mean, cruel, or a jerk, and though "wow, that kid is tough". My first thoughts are "what a jerk." and then, depending on how the other kid is dealing, maybe "THAT kid is tough" or "that's not fair".
Always, always it makes the aggressor look the fool.
When these teammates learn that they too can learn new things from EVERY player on the team, THEN they will be great players.... and not before.
Where did the myth that being cruel makes you strong come from... because it is absolutely and completely a LIE. It makes you weak.
1 comment:
You nailed it. Aggressors/bullies are truly insecure. And you're right; nobody ever thinks, "That bully is cool." Ugh, I hate that happened to your son. I'd totally not cheer them on come game day if I was you. It will make you feel a teeny bit better. :)
Post a Comment