If you would like to link to us....

If you would like to link to us go right ahead, I do ask though that if you know us in real life that you use my kids blog names if you refer to them. I don't use them in my blog or the title for safety purposes. Thanks so much!
~April

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Random Field Trip...

Today Goober had a school field trip.

I remember when I was a kid we would go to cool places like ohhhhhhh the museum. Or even to a current event at ISU. I don't EVER remember going anywhere that didn't have educational value.

So what up with taking the whole kindergarten to "The Tales of Despereux"? I though, "Well, maybe they are going to show the kid how a theater works, then let them watch a movie." That would seam logical right? I mean... as far as I knew educational stuff is what field trips are about.

So this morning my mom came to watch the two mini's while Goober and I headed to the school for the field trip. Me as the chaperon, and he (of course) as the student.

Short synopsis: Ride bus to theater, get pop and popcorn, watch movie, get back on bus, get backpack from school, and head home.

I don't really have a problem with the school taking Goober to see a movie, though it does seem really weird that they are dong something that I believe is purely entertainment. I mean, isn't that kind of thing something that should be left to the parents? If I had decided to be a bum and keep Goober home today and taken him on a "Mom/kid date" would he have been marked "absent" cause it kinda seems like he was absent anyways. Mmmmmm

Thoughts people?

6 comments:

Nat said...

That's cool, but I'll agree, kind of weird. I wonder what possessed them to do a movie outing. Maybe they had a budget surplus that would get taken away if they didn't use it or something. That's awesome that you got to go with him.

Layton Mom said...

This trip would make more sense if it had been an older class that read the book and then went to the movie. But I doubt Kindergartners are reading "The Tale of Despereaux". I have started reading it with my kids though and it is really cute.

Kar said...

I agree with Arin. If they had read the book first, then yes. We went to Mel Gibson's Hamlet in the 8th grade, which was cool and educational. Although I could not figure out for the life of me why Hamlet kissed his mom... When I taught, we read The Diary of Anne Frank, and then we went to the play in Salt Lake. It was sweet.

Anonymous said...

That is kind of weird. Sort of like a break from school rather than a field trip.

Well, was it a good movie, at least?

Stephanie said...

That wouldn't even be an option for us since we don't have a movie theater in town. However, Lisy told me once that if it's raining outside, they go to library...great right? No, they go to the library and watch a movie. I guess even teachers need a break sometimes.

Angie said...

Different for a "field trip." But Cardon had a blast and got to do something fun with some kids he doesn't get to see all that often. So, I don't really mind. How are you guys anyway? We miss you around here.