If you would like to link to us....

If you would like to link to us go right ahead, I do ask though that if you know us in real life that you use my kids blog names if you refer to them. I don't use them in my blog or the title for safety purposes. Thanks so much!
~April

Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Holidays and the New Year coming

Christmas for us was great. The kids had fun and we had the general craziness of running around visiting family etc.

Due to a misunderstanding one of my siblings didn't come to the area for Christmas this year, feelings were too sensitive and the fear that the stress of the season would simply compound the issues was understandable. We missed her and her kids though.

My grandpa did come up though, and my other sister came to visit shortly after Christmas!

I always adore seeing her and her family! She really does inspire me to do better with my health and activity levels. Not in a "Your fat you need to take better care of yourself" kind of way... more in a "I'm cute and spunky and love life!" kinda of way that makes you want to be like her :)



This effect of hers made me do a double take on a cultural tradition that I usually find kinda dumb... the New Years Resolutions. Yes, I usually come up with something dumb and then halfheartedly attempt to do them for about a week and then right it of as a "stupid tradition anyways!"

Last year I resolved to "loose weight" which is normal... and which I did better at least year than I think I ever have... however about 3/4 of the way through the year I dropped the ball and gained it all back.

Soooo, this year I'm not resolving to loose weight. nope. I'm going to resolve to be healthier all around... and I'm going to drag my family kicking and screaming with me if I have to! (which I may literally have to do... I've decided that we should go hiking and camping more this year when the weather will permit).

So, my eating habits and exercise habits are going to get a makeover (I am still exercising, just not as much as I should be) and yes, I'm going to get away from town more often... even if it is just a couple of miles away.

Jer and I are pretty much homebodies, we tend to only leave town about 2-3 times a year... and by leaving town I mean going farther than my parents house that is 20 minutes away. Sad, that is going to change!

and for some reason, though this reads a lot like a regular resolution... it doesn't feel so much like one. These things are actually things I WANT to do, not just need to.

Hopefully that makes a world of difference.

Now it's time to research a book with good places to go hiking in the area!

4 comments:

Kar said...

Good idea, Apes - hiking is so good for you, and so is getting out in the sun. And all the better if your kids can go with you. I'm really, really bad at keeping New Year's Resolutions, so I stopped making them. I toyed briefly with trying to stop drinking Coke (it's so sugary), but I don't know if I'm ready to do that yet. :)

Winders said...

;D You make me feel amazing!
Have fun hiking! We love the "100 hikes of the inland northwest", there's probably a "100 hikes of southeastern Idaho" you could try.

Maggi said...

Heyya, Karlenn! While studying for my Masters I had an addictions class during which one of the assignments was to go cold turkey off an "addiction" (mine was Diet Cokes) for 30 days, to try understanding what our clients mindsets are. It was HARD at first! I missed the carbonation. Many people with mental illnesses self-medicate with street drugs or alcohol. This is known as a dual diagnosis.

Maggi said...

Windie, you ARE amazing!!! Everyone adores you and your great family. You're a great role model:D