Insulin Resistant.
This is part of the reason I was getting poked a while ago. I went to my doctor cause I was worried about recent weight gain (almost 20 lbs since January) and the fact that thyroid issues run in my family.
So the doc decided to do a full physical. Blood work and all. Now, mind you, I have NEVER had a full physical that I can remember. Even my yearly "Girl" exams never included blood work, so this was interesting to me and I was glad it was being done, because I WANT to know about my health while things are still preventable.
I picked up the lab results the same day I had the blood work done and by looking over them myself I could tell things weren't right. Heck, even a ten year old knows when things are marked with HUGE letters that they aren't good. "High" is not good in math... need I say more? But it took me till today to know if my thyroid was okay.
The doctor gave me the option of meds or diet and exercise. I'll take "Diet and Exercise" for 1000 Alex! I don't want to be on meds unless there is nothing I can do about it.
Since I got the lab results I knew that there was something up with my insulin, so I started looking into diets etc for insulin resistance and diabetics. I bought a book. And I went shopping for low carb food. Isn't it AMAZING how many carbs are in EVERYTHING?!? Holy crap, and try finding "low carb" anything outside of meat. I know that there is such as thing as low carb bread and low carb tortillas etc... but I can't find them in town. Loverly. No wonder people are so overweight in the United States. Everything we eat has added sugar and/or aspartame etc.
Sooooo over the next several weeks (8) I'll be doing a "carb detox" then slowly reintroducing complex carbohydrates... then finally a FEW of the rest. Apparently the first three days are supposed to be the roughest because I'll still crave carbs like mad... but at least in their place I can have other foods. And I'll be starting to up my activity level a little at a time... a half hour to start with.
This outcome to my visit with the doc was the red flag I needed to kick my butt into gear. I really don't want to end up with diabetes or have heart disease at a young age. I sincerely hope that this change in the way I eat and act will help fix everything. Tonight I will take my measurements so I know when I'm making progress (I'm not a big fan of measuring by weight, I feel that it is kinda backwards.... doesn't muscle weigh MORE than fat anyways?). In fact I may include them on here to help make it all "stick" better and possibly make me more set on success.
Wish me luck! I'm starting tomorrow.
9 comments:
I am insulin resistant as well and can tell you all kinds of stuff about it (I did just so happen to major in Biology in college). Yeah carbs are the big thing, but its really all about limiting. You can't cut them out.
well, I know a little about the timing thing... that I shouldn't go more than 5 hours without some carbs. And I know that they should be minimal... not huge amounts. I was mostly shopping for those snacks between meals when I'm craving BREAD BREAD BREAD. :)
You are doing what I did! It is tough to find foods at first, but you get good at it fast. I, personally, love to snack on pistachios and popcorn. I know popcorn has carbs, but it never slowed me down. I am excited to hear about your healthy choices - it motivates me to do better :D
Thank you for sharing!
That runs in my family. (it's also related to PCOS...don't know if you have been diagnosed with that or not...)I've been borderline many times and it can be controlled. WHOLE GRAINS are major when it comes to "good carbs". Like Pete said, you can't eliminate. Orowheat makes a great bread that is 100% whole grain with no high fructose corn syrup that is relatively low carb and low calorie. And it tastes good! :) You'll get it controlled no problem! Let me know if you need anything!
It's so good that you went in for a physical! I should do that every year... Anyway, like Pete said, you can't completely cut them out, but you can do things to curb the amount. DIET, and also exercise-for Pete is was the diet. He also has a medicine called Metformin that helps with his insulin resistance. If you have any questions, call him.
Apes, I'm so glad you got that checked out. That was smart of you. I'm so sorry about the weight gain. I would have totally thought it was thyroid, because that same thing happened to me a few years back - inexplicable, huge weight gain. It was alarming and frustrating. I'm so glad you know, now. And good for you for pulling up your bootstraps and going the "diet and exercise" route. I would have probably chosen the meds! Hahaha!
The low carb tortillas are at Sam's Club, in the back on the table that has all of the delectable looking brownies, cakes, cookies, etc. They're really good and have less calories and carbs than any other tortilla I've found. I've been buying them for a few years and my kids love them too!
thank you Loni!!! I've been looking for them and my kids HATE HATE HATE the whole wheat ones... so I have no cluw what to do with those now, since no one is going to eat them. :P Off to Sam's today!
Way to grab the bull by the horns, Girl! I'm cheering for ya.
Thanks to your friends for all their helpful tips and advice (I don' wanna lose my darlin' daughter early, either)!
Post a Comment