This morning I got up.
I got up at 6:15am... I not only got up, but I exercised.
Anyone who has witnessed my usual day to day routine up to this point KNOWS this is NOT a small thing to say. And guess what?
I think I may need to get up earlier... hear that gear grinding? yeah, that's my brain screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOO... nononono!
I got every one of the kids up by 7:15 and started helping them get dressed. When I gently reminded Missy that she would not be attending school this morning she started to cry. Poor girl. She wants to go with her big brother. I had to bribe her by telling her she could wear her school clothes this week even though her preschool doesn't start until next week.
I was so glad I made Goobers lunch last night instead of putting it off till this morning. I would have never had everyone ready by the time his bus is supposed to come. 8:09am mind you. I took him to school today partly because I didn't think the buses would be picking up today (misunderstanding) and partly because I still have a hard time letting him go.
As he gave his siblings and I kisses and hugs and then hopped happily out of the van. I started to really worry. I worried that he would make it to were he was supposed to be, I worried that he might not make friends, I worried that the older kids would pick on him, I worried that he might try to boss around said older kids and become a target for teasing, I worried that he would be okay eating lunch at school and getting his lunchbox back home afterword, I worried about him listening to his teacher.....
I am a mom. I worry.
I had no idea that mom's were so out of the loop when I was a kid. I always kind of assumed that my mom knew about the things I did every day, the friends I hung out with at school, and what I learned. I assumed she knew the good teachers from the not so good ones... etc etc. Boy was I clueless.
I hope that when Goober gets off the bus this afternoon that he may tell me a little about his day, about what he learned, about the other kids that he met, about the friends he made.... I hope that he knows when to go to a teacher or an adult with problems, I hope he remembers the things I told him that will keep him safe.
Because when it all comes down to it, I sure love that little boy of mine even though he insists he is big. I cherish his happy giggles and the sparkle in his eyes when he finds something funny or tells a six year old style joke.
I love how willing he is to help, not only me, but his younger siblings. I adore those big hugs and quick kisses he gives when one of us is leaving... and know I probably won't be getting those for terribly much longer though I hope that maybe I will.
I will forever love him to death and I hope he never forgets that.
4 comments:
I hope that Goober has a good day at school!
I totally know what you mean, about being clueless. And about not getting up early enough. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do 6:15-ish, too. UGH!
You're doing so well! One suggestion that might ease the worrying is to volunteer in his classroom. Even if it's only once a week or once a month, this gives you a chance to get to know the teacher and become friends and to get to know all of the kids in his class, so you know which friends to steer Goober to and which to steer him away from. I dragged my two younger ones in with me each week to Allie's kindergarten and first grade classrooms. The teachers are just happy to have the help. :)
Ohhhhhhhhhh 6:15. Too early! Too early! Good for you for exercising before the kids get up. I just can't do it, dude. I wait until they're up, and then I yell at them the whole time I'm jogging on the treadmill: "Don't touch the treadmill! Give that toy back to your sister! Stop it!" I really need to follow your example.
Post a Comment