Okay, so lately I have a lot going on in this brain of mine, even though it may seem like I'm a bit quiet. The thing is, I don't really know what to type here.
First off, I really don't want to offend people with my religious issues. Secondly, I really don't want to cause other people to have the same issues. It's really hard to have your whole world view turned upside down and have very few people you feel you can talk to honestly about it. I get really tired of editing myself so that people don't think I'm attacking their religion. I'm not attacking it, I'm struggling with how people can truly think that not asking questions is what God would want.
As my status update on Facebook this morning said : "gets rather tired of people questioning my faith in God, I have faith in God, I do not, however, have faith in man when he claims to do things in God's name. Things that are harmful to others..."
I think that one of my friends said it right when he said that the same people who insist on unquestioning loyalty are the same ones who would "probably mock Muslims for blindingly believing their Mullahs, or those who follow Jim Jones. Blind obedience only for *our* religious leaders, eh?"
People in general seem to think that the rules should apply for everyone except themselves of course.
I have other things that I would like to talk about as well, but honestly the circumstances are too specific to the situation and the people involved for me to feel good about going into much detail for fear of revealing too much. Suffice it to say, I really hate it when people are passive aggressive and I hate it even more when they involve children in it all. Sad thing is, most people who are passive aggressive don't realize that they are doing it until someone calls them on it. And honestly, calling someone on it takes some real guts. Then one of two things happen, either a) they apologize and realize what they did - or at least that it could be taken offensively, or b) they get really pissed off and become worse. Rarely are they willing to talk it through.
I am worried about my kids future, not because I think the world is a bad place, but more because I think that power hungry people (ie politicians) are selling them short and jeopardizing the possibility of them being able to grow up and feel content with the country that they live in. People who want power really shouldn't be in any position of power. Most people don't want to hear about those concerns too much though... mainly because they are depressing and because I can't see any real solution to them.
This summer is going alright though... the weather has been nice, not too hot and not too rainy. Perfect for the kids to go outside and play in the sprinklers, but not melt after they come inside! There is so much that I want to do with my kids this summer, but it seems that even though we made the same amount of money last year... this year it doesn't seem to stretch as far, which really sucks.
I'm aware that this post may seem depressing, honestly I'm not depressed though. I'm more melancholy than anything, kind of resigned to the fact that right now, this is how things are, and that not much is going to change any time soon. Well, at least I hope nothing changes for the worse... I hope for the best but try to be emotionally prepared for the worst. Life isn't bad right now by any means! I'm pretty content with things, really. I just wish sometimes I could find a snippet of that ideal world that I have floating around in my head. You know, the place where everything works as it should, people have what they need, and everyone not only has the ability to be compassionate and empathetic... but uses it.
5 comments:
I too have been contemplative, which is maybe why I've been "blog quiet" lately. Although a blog is where I should be able to just ramble my thoughts, huh? :) And, it's YOUR blog, you shouldn't have to censor yourself, right? And I TOTALLY hear you about money not going as far this year as last. I feel that way, too. Grrr.
Hey, when you find that ideal world, invite me to come stay there too, OK? :)
And I agree with Nat. It is your blog. Say what you want. If people don't like it, they don't have to read it or comment.
And Amen on the money. Sigh. I needs me some more money.
The first thing I always think is, "Uh-oh. Was it ME?" I hope I haven't been passive/aggressive about your religious feelings. I truly, truly feel that you should explore these feelings and make decisions that will make you happy. And that I'll be your friend no matter what.
That ideal world sounds awfully nice. As does money. I don't think I'm going to have the fundage to put my kids into swimming lessons this year... frown.
Kar the passive aggressive wasn't you!!! In fact they know how I feel about them, which isn't "butterflies and unicorns" if you get my drift. :) I have a narsty habit of calling people out on that stuff.
Great post, April! Thanks for "being real." I long for civility, too (and more income).
Post a Comment