This was good and bad. Good because I worked where my kids were and Turbo could get all day preschool without a fee because I was staff, bad because of the drama between the two schools and because I was on two time cards which meant no benefits even though I was working a lot.
This summer I was supposed to work for the Summer Lunch Program that some schools offer to the community (kids 1-18 get lunch free) like I did last summer, but unfortunately there was some passive aggressiveness crap and my boss at the first charter school forgot/didn't have time to file the paperwork. Yah.... right. I am suspicious about that, but it does me no good to focus on it. Never-the-less I thought I had a summer job until about 2 weeks before "summer" which left me high and dry for finding most seasonal jobs.
What sucks is that I really needed that job to help make it through the summer. Yes, I don't have a rent/mortgage but I still have debt that came about in various ways... some avoidable and some not (like living until Jer got a job last summer) and also the van payment and the cell phone bill etc. along with the "holy crap I didn't realize how worn out Turbo's shoes were!" and the "I didn't realize that the kids outgrew almost ALL of their summer clothes from last year!" stuff.
So stressed as I was, finding a job that I could somehow work with watching my kids (because Jer was most likely to be available in the mornings, but then got a promotion ---YEAH!!!--- which meant more regular hours, ie not midnight, but also meant that he wouldn't be around to watch the kiddos who were out of school and who we couldn't afford to pay someone to watch.) and pay me ... because that was needed.... was NOT looking likely.
Until one of Jer's friends happened to call and talk to him about a money making idea (trying not to be snarky... I don't like my friends trying to sell stuff to me and am always highly suspicious of it) and happened to ask what was up with us. Jer mentioned that he was working at Maverik and that I was home with the kids for the summer... and then his friend asked if I would be willing to watch he and his new wife's kids for them while they worked! :D
I jumped at it. I could bring my kids, sometimes I would have up to 5 kids (all not my own) to watch, but sometimes less (all the kids are from previous marriages) and it would help us make ends meet!!!
So now I'm babysitting and watching (can't babysit your own kids, right!?) up to 8 kids during the day and for the most part it is going alright. I am thankful to be able to make ends meet... hopefully... at least until the end of summer when I will only have one of my two jobs to go back to :\
Oh, well... we will jump that hurdle when it gets here.
1 comment:
Bless your heart. Baby-sitting other peoples' kids makes me want to gouge my eyeballs out. Although in reality, I'm a free baby-sitter for four or five kids every day. They all come over HERE. It drives me nuts. I'm always like, "Why don't you guys go to YOUR house for awhile?" (And eat all of your family's food??) Hahaha!
Post a Comment