A while ago I saw a TV show that really got me thinking.
It was one of those "Discovery Channel" type shows. Kind of a documentary of sorts.
In this instance the topic was that of hermaphoditism.
For those of you that don't know what this word means, it is a word used to discribe those instances when a child is born as neither one gender nor the other.
Sometimes is is called "Masculine Feminization" or some other overly feelingless term.
I have at times reflected on some or the facts that this program brought to light. That some people really aren't born distinctly one gender or ther other (speaking biologically, or course).
I cannot imagine what it must feel like to be one of the people. Or the parent of one of these individuals, who in some cases are forced to have a gender assigned to the child. How in the world could such a large decision be made by parents that are only human?
At times I reflect on this topic and wonder how it connects to homosexuality and/or transgenderism. Is there a connection?
So many people cut this as a black and white statement. You either are a women or a man. End of discussion. The things is, with me at least, this argument always comes back to remind me of that show I saw. If it is so definite, what about those that are born both genders?
There are so many things that define gender. Chromosomes, genitalia, etc etc.
It's something to ponder anyways. And something I have to reconcile with many things.
Do any of you find yourself wondering similar things?
5 comments:
I heard that now they do some kind of gene test that shows which it is for sure, and correct everything surgically.
As far as genetically predisposed to be gay, or an alcoholic, or straight, or anything-I think you can be born with tendencies toward something, but if you never act on that, then you'll never BE that. Like, I could very well have the genetic predisposition to be an alcoholic, but having never had alcohol, I'll never be one. (Does any of that make sense?)
Hey April, just wanted to say thanks for the card and honey! I hope your holidays were great!!! I think of you from time to time! It is fun to read your blog!
I have a novel for you to read about hermaphroditism from the point of view of the individual. Genetic tests are helpful.
I, also, have a factual account of an active L.D.S. family re. the homosexuality of their son, written by the father.
Anonymous is absolutely correct. Homosexuality is NOT a disease.
I have done a great deal of research, as a social worker, on related issues in my desire to be of assistance to others in a professional capacity. One in 10 mammals (at LEAST) is homosexual. Sexual preferences/attraction is something you are born with, not socialized into. (No worries about gay couples raising children, etc.).
What if, as a person attracted to the opposite sex, you were considered "abnormal"? Denied housing? Fired from jobs because others confuse being gay with pedophilia? Were unable to get health insurance? etc., etc.
It makes me VERY angry that many stick our heads in the sand and have a "Just say No" attitude about what is normal for human beings because someone else says we should do thus and thus. People who love their fellow beings love them for all their imperfections (as is the nature of being human). I find it curious that Christians (who preach loving one another), especially, do a 180 where homosexuality is concerned.
That model, Helena Christensen, was born a hermaphrodite. Interesting, huh?
I always thought if I had a child born with that I'd just give them a blessing to tell what sex they were. I'm glad they have DNA testing Nat. I've thought about the connection to homosexuality and if people are born gay or not. My sister's best friend is Homo and wishing he wasn't. He was strong LDS read scriptures daily wanted to serve a mission got told no because he had those tendency's and now has fallen away. All this over the last two years it's so sad.
Post a Comment