Wow, which would you rather have in your family? A chronic illness or a mental illness?
When a doctor asks my medical history it is decidedly lopsided. Mental illness runs rampant. It has Clinical Depression all over the place, it has Bipolar Disorder sprinkled throughout, and Paranoia here and there. It could be worse, I promise that. I could have Schizophrenia in there too... and there isn't any that I know of.
In the physical aspect of my medical history I have a little diabetis, and skin cancer. With some minor things scattered about.
As far as the two options go, consider this:
On the physical side the person who has it often suffers great physical pain that will never go away, and sometimes emotional trauma, but usually they have their families to surround them and people that love them.
On the mental side the person who has it often suffers great mental pain, often due to the fact that they don't realize that they have an ailment, they often driving those that love them away from them, but often they are otherwise healthy and not in any physical pain.
So, My question is this... if you had to have someone you love have either a chronic illness, or a mental one. Which would you prefer?
I know which I would choose, and it's not the one I got.
5 comments:
This reminds me of "would you rather..."
Example: "would you rather hit every red light for the rest of your life, or always be wrong?"
"would you rather become uglier or become stupider?"
LOL, Windie!!! I choose neither!!! FYI, April: There's no such thing as "normal." Every family has some level of dysfunctionality. Each person is growing at their own rate and making mistakes along the way. A psychotherapist friend of mine said recently that, in his opinion, family is the least likely emotional support in times of great need. In a perfect world this would not be so. Alas, we don't yet live in a perfect world. All we can do is try our best to make it a little better :D I love you.
My family must have some mental illness because they are bat crap crazy or the MOST selfish egotistical people on the face of this earth = P
I have battled the big "C" along with you and having nuts in your life, does not help your situation. Best thing for that: Stay Calm and Keep Moving.
Fight the urge to want to smack an annoying person you know with "medical issues. It's NEVER worth your time = )
May
Oooh, that's a hard question. Both are so difficult to deal with. It is sooo hard dealing with a person who doesn't know that he/she needs mental help. Really, really hard. But I'd never wish physical suffering on a loved one, either. I guess maybe the physical suffering is harder on the person who has it, but the mental issues are harder on the family that has to deal with it...? I don't know. Many deep thoughts.
Gosh, I don't really know. I think probably physical. Both of my grandmother's had Alzheimer's, though, so my sister and I have decided we're pretty much in trouble on either side of the family tree.
Hang in there!
Post a Comment