So today is Father's Day... a day that really should be recognized just as much as Mother's Day in my book! There are a lot of really great fathers out there that would go to the ends of the earth to help their children... or to even see them in some cases.
I think the fathers rarely get the props that they deserve for being caring and going out of their way for their children, and sometimes other peoples children. From what I see... women get at least some praise for fulfilling the stereotypical roll of "nurturer and caregiver", but for some reason guys don't seem to get the same recognition... after all, cuddling with a child is not generally seen as masculine, even if it does make his significat other all "Gooey" over him. :)
I'm so glad that the guys in my life are truly excellent father's! Not a "deadbeat" amongst them!
Jer has always been willing to help me out with anything involving the kids, he has willingly changed diapers, helped the kids get ready for the day, or made them dinner when I didn't have the drive to. He helpfully checks on them when they are fighting in the other room and rough-houses with them in the living room. I honestly don't think I could ask for a better spouse or a better father for my children.
While he has to go to work every weekday to make ends meet, I know that if I were to choose to go back to work he would do an awesome job as a stay at home dad. He might have culture shock for a bit (and who wouldn't? honestly) but I know he would quickly put me to shame in many areas. I'm glad my kids have him for a dad.
Speaking of dad's...
My dad is a great guy himself, who I remember as never having a moment's hesitation about cuddling with me... even as a teenager. I remember seeing him reading a book in the living room and instantly going over to him to pester him. I would sit by him and make it my business that he must stop reading at once and pay attention to me! After I had succeeded in distracting him sufficiently from his task, he would put his arm around me, pull me close, stroke my hair, and we would talk about just about anything. I cherish those memories... especially now that I am a parent, and have my own insane life to try to keep on track. I know how tempting it is not have time to just sit and enjoy a child.
Every time I visit my parents I am reminded of why I'm glad they live nearby! My dad takes them for rides on the Rhino, throws rocks into the pond with them, tells them about the flowers on the trees in the spring and lifts them up so that they can smell them and enjoy them. They search out bugs, and he lets them help him fix things. My dad gets down on the floor to play with my kids, they climb all over him and squish his cheeks... they continually build that bond that I know my children will be appreciative of when they become teenagers. I know that when my kids need to talk to someone that is not mom or dad, they they will have someone to go to.
I'm more grateful for that than I think either of my parents can imagine, however when Father's Day comes around I haven't a clue what to do... you see, I'm crappy about knowing what fishing gear to buy and I don't know what else he would want... cards aren't my thing, most of the time they don't say enough, or they feel trite. This morning I called my dad and he wasn't home (hopefully he was out doing something FUN!)...
There really is very little that could express to my dad how much I love him. Yes, he has faults, every human does... but honestly, the more human he is while still trying hard to do things that are right, the more I love him!
Happy Father's Day Old Man!
2 comments:
Wonderfully written! Your love for the fathers in your life shines through!
It is so fun to watch our dads turn into grandpas. My dad was so adorable with Nat's and my kids on Sunday when we went over to celebrate. That's so great that your dad took time to cuddle and listen to what you had to say when you were teeny. So important.
Post a Comment