Hihi,
We have returned! Must be a curse ... I know! But much to your chagrin I'm sure we made it home safely. :o) Just kidding OF COURSE!!!
Anywhys...
We had fun in good ol' Utaho. We took the kids to a great children's museum there, went to a planetarium, took them to temple square on Sunday, and went to a dinosaur park. Needless to say we pretty much turned the whole doctors trip into a family vacation!
So this morning before we came home we went to the doctor. A behavioral specialist.
I was concerned because G has to be told to do things about 3 times before he ever moves to do them, he has a hard time concentrating when there is any background noise, and he can't seam to follow sequences aka "Go get your socks, then put on your shoes, and after that go get your coat on." He gets his socks and looses track of what he is doing. there are other things as well but that is the main part. Anyways. After the doctors played some games with him and had him answer some questions he basically said he isn't ruling anything out at this point as far as A.D.D. or other things but that with the lack of family history in the A.D.D. department he hesitated to say it was that.
What he did say was that he needs a hearing test (not a big surprise) to make sure he hasn't got any issues hearing high frequencies. Basically G is really intelligent for his age (tests at the level of a 6 year old) but his language skills are lacking (He tests at the 4 year old level where he is very nearly 5 years old). The doctor thinks that this may be the reason for the issues G is having with everything from following instructions to potty training issues (which Dr. said was closely related to language skills). He sent home some questionnaires for Jer and I to fill out and for G's teacher to fill out, he is also sending stuff to our pediatrician here in IF. he did say he wasn't overly concerned about G at this point but that we need to keep tabs on the situation and make sure that if it continues or gets worse by the time he is in kindergarten then we may need to do more testing.
Anyways, I feel good about the doctors visit. he seamed competent and very personable and like he was being proactive as far as our concerns about our son go. Overall I liked him and was so glad he didn't just try to brush us off and tell us it was all in our heads. :)
I plan on posting some pictures of our trip tomorrow once we are settled again.
5 comments:
Sounds like a good trip. Glad you made it back safe, and that you had a fun time! I want to check out those places some time with my kids (not the doctor, just the museums and stuff...) =)
Glad you made it back ok. I hope you keep us updated on how Gavin's doing. He's such a great kid.
You're such a good mom! I'm glad that everything is (mostly) okay with your kiddo.
Enlarged adenoids can cause hearing problems, and sleep apnea, which causes Attention problems, because of lack of sleep. And speech delays because of the hearing problems. Also, Addy has symptoms of A.D.D. when she eats artificial colors or flavors. And Ethan has symptoms of A.D.H.D. (extreme), when he eats the same.
Good to know. thanks.
Post a Comment