If you would like to link to us....

If you would like to link to us go right ahead, I do ask though that if you know us in real life that you use my kids blog names if you refer to them. I don't use them in my blog or the title for safety purposes. Thanks so much!
~April

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Argh! Why must he be so STUBBORN?

Ok, so sometimes I wonder what I did to my own parents "back in the day" to have a child that does this...

This morning Goober wanted to play his Star Wars game instead of going to school... I talked him into getting ready and going to the bus stop... on the way there Goobers asked me if I could play his game for him. At this point I really didn't want to get into it with him. He was in one of those moods.

So I told him I would play it with him after school. He was NOT happy. He wanted to stay home and play it NOW. I told him no several times and that he needed to go to school.

Well, the bus came.

The other kids got on.

Goober did not.

He just STOOD there in front of the bus door. Both the bus driver and myself tried to encourage him to get on. No can do. Not happening.

So I suggested that the bus driver close the bus door. He likes the bus and I thought this would get a reaction out of Goober to want to get on the bus.

Nope. He stands there.

I tell him if he doesn't get on the bus I'm NOT going to play his game at all today. And if he continues he won't be playing his game at all today.

Nope.

FINE! I guess I will just drive him. I wave to the bus driver and the bus drives off. Goober starts to cry.

Apparently Goober didn't think the bus driver would actually leave him. It's not like he had anything better to do that have a battle of wills with a kindergartner. Ugh.

So I start walking home, goober trailing behind crying and me kinda fuming.

Into the house to get Missy My (who was eating waffles while we went to the bus stop) and load into the van to take Goober to school.

ring,ring

It's one of my wonderful neighbors who happened to see me walking home with Goober from the bus stop. She offers to take Missy My while I take Goober to school. sigh. Thank you!

I put all the kids into the van. Goober refuses to do up his seat belt. So I start to drive and he starts to freak. I tell him to put on his seat belt then! GADS.

I drop Missy by the neighbors house and take Goober to school sans Missy My.

And he is boobing all the way there about wanting to watch me play Lego Star Wars. I sit quietly because I know that if I tell him I'm not playing his video game it will send him into a fit.

We get to the school and he continues to boob and won't get out of the van. I tell him that he is going to loose his Lego Star Wars very soon if he does not get out of the van!!

Out he got.

I walk him in, tell him he can go play on the toy till the bell rings. I give him a big hug before he goes, tell him goodbye and that I love him. Then I walk off to go back to the van and go pick up Missy My.

--------

Ok, constructive criticism? Please! Tell me what I'm doing wrong! This afternoon was another one. He is now in bed for a nap, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth.... because he told me he didn't want lunch when I made it (even after I told him he would get nothing till dinner). And he now insists that he wants something to eat and will not drop it. In fact he threw a bloody fit so I put him to bed (mostly for my sanity). Eee gads! I'd rather have 5 kids around than deal with him when he is in a snit! :P

9 comments:

Nat said...

Man! Um...how about not kill him? Just kidding. I felt awfully close to killing Troy yesterday. He was driving me CRAZY!!

Today I told Jakob we needed to work on homework, and he said, "I don't want to, I want to play swimming (jumping on the couch pillows-don't know why that's "swimming" today). And I told him he could jump three more times, then it was time to do homework. Then we were doing homework, and he asked if we were done yet, and I said no, and he said "I don't want to do homework any more" and I said "too bad". Then I tried to keep it positive by saying "Only three more questions, okay?"

Okay, so I really don't have a point with my story, other than letting you know you're not alone with the battle of wills. I say just stick to your guns (if you say no more food until dinner, then no more food, or if you say no LSW then no LSW, etc.)

You are a terrific mom, and you'll figure out what's best for him and for you.

Layton Mom said...

We all have days where we have a battle of wills with our children. I wish I had more advice than just stick to your guns, but I do not. I don't know how many times I had to tell Ila to drink her milk and make her bed so she could watch cartoons before school. She finally made her bed but didn't drink her milk until right before the bus came. Needless to say no cartoons have been watched at my house today.

You are a good mom and anyone who thinks otherwise is a dummy head!

Winders said...

You are doing a great job! Every kid goes through this sort of thing - at least mine do! His life has changed in a big way recently (starting school) and maybe this is how he's trying to deal with it. Just love him, love him, love him. You are doing great, just do your best to remain cool ;) I love you!

Stephanie said...

I haven't had those battle of wills with Lisy about school, thankfully, but we battle all the time at home. I don't know, we have been focusing a lot in our scripture studies lately about obedience. We are learning about Nephi vs. Laman and Lemuel, the blessings that come from obedience, and that has helped a lot. What can they say if you tell them that those are the things Heavenly Father wants them to do and will make them happy? It has helped us a lot and they seem more and more willing to be obedient. Also, does he like school? Is he having a good time there, because maybe he doesn't want to go, I don't know, that's probably what I would think of first, but I'm obsessive about Lisy loving school and being happy there.

He's a great kid, though. You will figure it out.

FluffyChicky said...

Sorry Goober is being a pain. Been there with my boy, starting to get into it with my girl again. Sigh.

I don't think that you are doing anything wrong...you were way more patient than I would have been...the beatings would have commenced if my boy had refused to get on the bus. :) I guess the only thing I would say that whatever punishments you threaten him with, follow through with them, or Goober will see you as weak and make your life even more difficult. :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, gotta agree with Fluffy. Be strong and follow through on the consequences or your life will be ugly! Believe me, I know. I had one of those days with my boy just yesterday. Love him, I guess. Love him no matter what. Easier said then done, yeah?

Me said...

This sounds like normal 5 year old behavior. Things like exploring autonomy, testing boundaries, etc. It's all part of learning and growing up. Looks like you know where to draw the line and you are consistent with enforcement. Well done! Nothing wrong with G and nothing wrong with you. No visiting TV rescue nannies will be coming to your house. This is frustrating, I know, BUT, if you are consistent with boundry enforcement it will pay off BIG when he is a teenager.

Heidi S.

Kar said...

This is me and Dylan, um, like, 100% of the time. Dylan is a stubborn man, too. And he has anger-management issues. Seriously. I've seen you in action, and you are a fabulous, fabulous mom. You let them know that you love them, but that you will not allow them to push their boundaries. Stick to your guns, like you always do, and eventually he'll figure it out.

Joshua and Tara said...

I love all these kindergarten stories! If you want to feel better, go to my blog and click on 'Mayme and Lance'. Read about my friend's (RS president in my last ward)kindergarten experience! It makes your kid look like a perfect angel!