This morning I got a call from the Principal of Goobers school. Apparently Goober had an incident with another student (whom I know) and the other little boy ended up going home because he got a goose egg on his forehead.
No being too sure of what happened I asked Goober when he got home. Apparently the other little boy didn't want to play with him and tried to run away. Goober chased and claims he tripped and pushed the boy as he fell, causing the boy to fall as well.
The dilemma that I've come to is this: did Goober really trip, or has he talked about this enough with the duty, Principal, and me enough to have come up with a story that will get him out of trouble? He is 5, so I wouldn't put it past him.
I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I keep wondering if he isn't being straight with me.
What would you do?
8 comments:
Um, I would ask the principal if any adults saw the incident, and to ask them what happened. Then you said you know the other kid; maybe talk to his mom and see if her kid said what happened.
yaaaaa, I talked to the other kids mom (I also had Goober come with me and apologize... even if it was an accident that needs to happen) he says that he was just running and Goober suddenly pushed him. I wasn't really surprised that he didn't include that he didn't want to play with Goober and that he was running away... I have left a message for another mom to call me, her son was most likely playing with both of them at the time, to see if Goober fell too. Fun Fun... sigh.
on a side note... what do you do if other kids exclude your son? ahhhh parenthood sucks this way!
I am sorry! I have been thinking since last night, but I am not sure what to tell you. I know we try to talk to Carsen about other kids feelings, but I am not sure what sinks in and what goes in one ear and out the other...I have told him time and time again not to push/shove/touch other kids/hit them with sticks, I mean swords, but he doesn't remember. It is a crazy adventure we are on, that is for sure!
One thing I threaten Carsen with when he is doing something really bad is that I will throw away all of his toys, I even get a big bag and start reaching for them, it really really gets his attention!
Dylan is always lying to me about stuff. It makes me wonder about all that "they are innocent before the age of eight" stuff. I always have to interrogate all child witnesses and come to my own conclusion, because usually, the other kids' stories are equally as embellished as Dylan's. In answer to "what would you do?" - I think you're doing the right thing by investigating. Because you don't want to punish him for an accident, but if it was on purpose, then you need to know that so you can properly punish him. Let me know what you found out from the other "witness child."
One thing i do if my child is having diffuculties is ask them to play with other friends for a week. Then try to play again, and see how it turns out. As for the other does he need to be punished, or can you just have the talk. I have found with my oldest son that 15 minutes after they incident the cause is forgotten. as for aking others perspective is different for us all. I have hosted japens exchange students in the past, you should hear there versions of U.S. history. OOOOOOOOO I just remembered something else. My wife says never ask the child if they did something natural instict is to lie. (who want's to get in trouble) Ask instead why the did it. (Why did you push the boy? Why did you hit him?) Just my 2 coppers. From Husband of Mom on the edge the
Post a Comment