If you would like to link to us....

If you would like to link to us go right ahead, I do ask though that if you know us in real life that you use my kids blog names if you refer to them. I don't use them in my blog or the title for safety purposes. Thanks so much!
~April

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Partisan?

Why is it that as soon as you happen to state what political party you are affiliated with suddenly you are one of two things: Heartless or Naive? Why is it that most Democrats automatically assume that just because you happen to vote Republican most of the time that you all the sudden don't give a crap about your fellow man or his struggles? And Why is it that as soon as Republicans find out you vote Democrat most of the time you are suddenly dumb as a doornail?

Oh how I wish there was a viable political party in this country that was moderate. Not one extreme or another. That understood that most things in life are not answered by extremes. Take the abortion debate for example: I don't think that abortion should be a free for all with no regulations. I don't think it should be taken lightly. And I do think it should be considered as a last resort... yes I am pro-life. BUT WAIT A MINUTE..... I'm also pro-choice. I think that in certain cases it should be allowable and not looked down upon (gasp). Such instances would be rape, incest, or the likelihood that either the mother and/or the child would die anyways. In these cases (and a couple that haven't occurred to me I'm sure) I think a women (and her partner if applicable) should have the option of abortion. So where does that leave me?

That's right, in neither political party... because they each want extremes. All or none. And only one set of opinions, you can't have half of one parties values and half the others aka pro Gay marriage and anti-abortion... doesn't work either. There has to be a better way. No wonder citizens in America are so frustrated with our political system. It makes polar opposites in parties... and seemingly allows for no middle ground. I think it supposed to force them to work towards the middle ground but all I see happening is them switching one extreme for another like some morbid game of Monopoly ("you can have this extreme if we can get this one!"). UGH.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes!! We live in a world of gray and yet when in comes to politics, we're supposed to pick black or white. It's obnoxious. It's gotten to the point that I try not to discuss politics with anyone but my husband.

Kar said...

Oh, totally. When I tell people around here that I'm a democrat, they look at me like I'm crazy, and then they immediately say, "So you're pro-choice??" Um, no... I'm a pro-life democrat. Yes, you can be a democrat, but not an extreme one.

Nat said...

We should start a "moderate" party. I think the majority of Americans would join.

CHELZERS said...

I totally agree!!
I had that same dilemma when registering in CA (where republicans are few and far between, except for in church, lol). I didn't want to 'decide' on either so I picked independent. Well, I didn't understand how that worked so I couldn't even vote for the people I wanted. Why can't we just pick who we want to win for a particular race and not only have to chose from the party we 'registered' for??? I realize that I am soooo not aware of how the system works so I probably sound dumb...but oh well. :)

Unknown said...

Yeah, I think different states work different was as far as only getting to vote your party or not. funfun :P

FluffyChicky said...

This is why I am not registered with ANY party and why, when I am asked, I tell people I am an Independent. That usually makes them leave me alone because everyone is usually prepared to tell me why I shouldn't be a Republican or a Democrat, but they have no idea why a person shouldn't be Independent. :)

I'd totally join your moderate party though.