If you would like to link to us....

If you would like to link to us go right ahead, I do ask though that if you know us in real life that you use my kids blog names if you refer to them. I don't use them in my blog or the title for safety purposes. Thanks so much!
~April

Friday, May 30, 2008

Bookaholic

Yeah, I read. A lot.

I could easily go through four or five good sized books in three weeks time when I'm "Binging". I really like books... no I love books. They are the escape that allows you to stop mid sentence if you need to cuddle a little kid, or change a diaper.

I have an issue though. I have a weird aversion to the library. That's right. I love books, dread the library.

Could it be that if I were to go to the library every time I wanted a book I would have to drag all of my kidlets with me? I don't think I would mind so much if this were not that case.

I know, selfish. Kids should be taught to love the library ...right? Sure, I agree with that. In Principal. In practice... yeah, not so much.

Maybe it's the garden area that is right in your face as you walk in... that looks so enticing to play in. Maybe it's the fish pond that they aren't supposed to touch that is right at the best level to dangle little fingers in. Or could it be the HUGE ramp that they just want to run on! Up. Down. up. down. Up. Down. UP DOWN ... WEEEEE!! and you know with that much fun there is NO WAY they are going to be library quiet. Heck, there's almost no way I could be library quiet! Not with trying to draw their attention to actual books. Heaven FORBID! Books! HA. Riiiight.

Mom, why would I want to read a book when I can walk along this retaining wall as fast as I can teetering on the edge, just asking the fish pond to swallow me up!? What? You just asked my sibling in a very stern tone for the umpteenth time to stop doing this exact thing? Why are you upset mom? WHAT? We are going HOME??? BUT WHY!!!???? NOOOOOOOO....

Ugh. Yeah, at this point Barnes and Noble is a blessing... even with the cost and the temptation of running around the shelves like it's a racetrack.

If I go to the library all the sanity I gain by reading books is INSTANTLY lost through the tactics of the 3 beings I call my chillins. They plan it in advance I tell you! Those sneaky little short people don't get enough credit for their strategic skills!

Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Amberlee said...

I am a complete book-a-holic too! I love to read a few books a week, but don't enjoy dragging all of my kids to the library either. I have found that you can request books online and the library will call you when they are available for you to pick up. You can even have them delivered to the Iona library which is a much shorter drive. I love it. It has taken all the hassle out of the library. You do have to know which books you want so you can request them. Unfortunately there is no browsing the shelves looking for just the "right one". But it is WAY better than chasing kids in the library! Good luck! Buying tons of books can get way expensive!

Blake and Breanna said...

That is why you need to be here in Topeka. With our library all you have to do is get on the internet, request the books you would like to read, and they send them to you in the mail. And the best part is IT'S FREE!!! It is awesome. So now when we go to the library it is only so that they can play! It is awesome.

Nat said...

Our library is totally asking for kids to get into trouble. Who DOESN'T want to run up and down the ramp? Even I do, and I'm how old? And the pond? Brock totally fell in about a year or so ago.

Kar said...

Brock fell in that pond? I totally didn't know that! Ha-ha-ha! That is so funny! Yeah, I don't take my kids to the library anymore. All they want to do is try to play those computer games in the kids' section, and I don't have time or energy to figure the games out for them. I'm not there for the games, kids, I'm there for the books! Then they take a thousand years to pick the books they want, and then they refuse to read them, once we get them home. I only go to the library when I can go by myself.