Then came the braces. Add to that the rubber bands and the regular tightening appointments at the orthodontist's office. Oh the sore mouth! I remembering not wanting to eat ANYTHING just for the fact that my gums felt bruised. Two years later I was through with the braces! Hooray!
I had perfectly straight, healthy, shiny teeth! And a permanent retainer to keep them in place... I hated flossing around it, but what was a kid to do?

A few years later I had dental work done that they had to cute through the permanent retainer to do... and then again a year or so later... after a while of patching up the darned thing I could no longer floss around it. So they took it off. And gave me one to wear at night.
This is where I fell off the wagon. Hard.
nighttime? when you get to college isn't that the time you are supposed to sleep? Remember to wear my retainer.... Ha! It had been a few years anyhow right? What was the likelihood that my teeth would move now anyways?! (I assumed, not high)
Well, I was sorely mistaken. Now I have a big gap between my two front teeth. And to fix it doesn't just mean something simple. Oh, no. It means braces again. OH THE HORROR. Why, oh why didn't I wear my retainer? I now realize that I effectively chucked my parents well earned money down the loo.

Grrrrr.
4 comments:
I think the gap is indearing. Madonna has one. But yeah, I'm glad I had a permanent retainer-I never would have remembered-or cared-to wear a night one. Pete's teeth shifted after braces, too, because of the same thing.
A gap, in Shakespearean times, meant that a person was "lusty." So you can just tell people that. :) My permanent retainer broke when I was 21, but I didn't know it, and my teeth started moving all around, and I got, like, buck teeth. I had to get braces again. When I was 21. And I was having horrible skin problems at that time, too. I was like, um, am I 13 again?? It sucked.
Oh, I remember the days of braces. Not fun!
I've been told I need braces again too. You can be "gap" and I'll be "buck" heeehee My dentist took off my permanent retainer because it had too much cement LOL and my upper removable one was lost in the recesses of time. I feel your pain...why did our parents even bother heeeheeeheee
Post a Comment