
OK, so this topic has been brought up on a couple of posts (e.g. Rocks in My Dryer see link in "Places I Like to Check Out" on left side of page if you want) and I thought I might chime in.
Chores at our house are simple. Seeing that my oldest is just about to turn five on June 1st and I'm not that great at getting small change from the bank on a regular basis for allowance, I have devised a simple system at out house for chores and rewards.
Tokens. That's right, Tokens. Or should I say Poker Chips? LOL Lets put those babies to good use!
Anyhow, the kids get paid in poker chips. I know they are not able to "spend" these anywhere outside the house, but seeing that we don't go out of the house very often I figure that isn't a huge deal at the moment.
So here's how it works. If Big G brushes his teeth in the morning he gets 1 token. If he makes his bed he gets another. If he keeps his bed dry all night he gets 3 tokens.... As he gathers his tokens he spends them at the "store" I have a list on the fridge with pictures of things he can "buy". Popcorn = 2 tokens. Trip to the park = 5 tokens. Blast Off (a fun kids place) = 7 tokens. Etc etc.
As G and Missy My get to the point that they do their chores and no longer ask for tokens for that chore I switch out the chore list. For instance, recently G stopped asking for tokens for getting dressed in the morning. So, I stopped giving him tokens for that and add a new chore to the list. Like setting the table for dinner. I don't have any more than five chores listed at one time. And if the kids decide there is something they want that I'm not oh so eager to give them on a constant basis... yup, I put it on the reward chart so they can earn it :)
Chores at our house are simple. Seeing that my oldest is just about to turn five on June 1st and I'm not that great at getting small change from the bank on a regular basis for allowance, I have devised a simple system at out house for chores and rewards.
Tokens. That's right, Tokens. Or should I say Poker Chips? LOL Lets put those babies to good use!
Anyhow, the kids get paid in poker chips. I know they are not able to "spend" these anywhere outside the house, but seeing that we don't go out of the house very often I figure that isn't a huge deal at the moment.
So here's how it works. If Big G brushes his teeth in the morning he gets 1 token. If he makes his bed he gets another. If he keeps his bed dry all night he gets 3 tokens.... As he gathers his tokens he spends them at the "store" I have a list on the fridge with pictures of things he can "buy". Popcorn = 2 tokens. Trip to the park = 5 tokens. Blast Off (a fun kids place) = 7 tokens. Etc etc.
As G and Missy My get to the point that they do their chores and no longer ask for tokens for that chore I switch out the chore list. For instance, recently G stopped asking for tokens for getting dressed in the morning. So, I stopped giving him tokens for that and add a new chore to the list. Like setting the table for dinner. I don't have any more than five chores listed at one time. And if the kids decide there is something they want that I'm not oh so eager to give them on a constant basis... yup, I put it on the reward chart so they can earn it :)
4 comments:
Sounds to me like a great idea. I think that I shall start implementing that in my house. Thanks for the great advice.
Dude, my kids have it way easy compared to some...makes me worry! (Read the comments on Kar's post on chores.) I've gotta start having my kids do chores!
Yeah, I'm feeling like Nat - I've been a slacker in the chores department. I just...don't want to be bothered. But it's for their own good, so I need to do it.
Good idea! I have done this too, I need to start it up again.
Post a Comment